Sunday, May 1, 2011

ten

So, even though I can hardly beleive it, my Eli turned 10 last week.  We had a very low-key day with a trip to the movie theater to see RIO-he loved it!  And we went to Chinese Buffet for supper-his choice. 

After being here an entire decade, here are some facts about Eli:

He is early to bed, early to rise.

Has been is school for 7 years.

Has visited 9 states- and will visit  #10 this summer, Wyoming!

Loves animals, nature, dinosaurs, and any silly movie.

Has 1 brother who he has a love/hate relationship with;  4 wonderful grandparents, 14 aunts & uncles, and 12 cousins.  He also has 4 great-grandparents and several great-aunts & uncles.

Has an awesome class that has always treated him with respect & dignity.

Loves to eat and constantly asks when and what the next meal will be.

The first 10 years of Eli's life have been filled with joy, love, uncertainty, accceptance, advocacy, and hope.  I  feel that I have grown so much over the last 10 years, perhaps as much as Eli himself.  I have read that puberty is the hardest age for those on the spectrum, so I would be lying if I said I was looking forward to the next 10 years.  However, they are coming anyway, so we will continue to take one day at a time(sometimes one minute), continue to research, try new things, and help my mancub become as independent as possible.  When Eli was born, I would daydream about what he might someday become, now I simply wish for him to be safe, happy, and be able to find his place in this world.



                             May all his wishes come true!

No comments: