Sunday, November 20, 2011

More

For those of you who don't know, I work with a 3 year old at preschool who is on the "spectrum".  He doesn't say much of anything, so on Thursday and Friday when he requested, "more"  both by using a talker(device that speaks when he pushes a button and verbally(saying more), I was pretty excited.  Somehow, all the waiting, the tantrums, the wondering-am I doing anything for this child?, are worth it when they have a breakthrough. 

Over the years, Eli has had several breakthroughs.  Small, simple tasks that are so easy for other children. Sometimes, I think, Why does life have to be so hard for him?  Why is everything so challenging?  Perhaps it is this way, so we appreciate the things he CAN do.  And when he does accomplish even the slightest thing,  like the first time he spoke, went potty, sang with his class, recited a prayer with his Faith Formation Class(still working on church), gave a compliment, told me he loved me, went to Communion, waited in line, ordered his own food, the list goes on and on.  And it is still going.  Here's hoping to "MORE"  from all the little boys in my life!  

No comments: